Olympia Lawyers Handling Cases Involving Relocating Children Outside Of Washington

Family Packing TogetherOne of the most difficult areas of family law is when one parent wishes to move with the child – often out-of-state. One parent is essentially guaranteed to be left unhappy at the end of such a case. If the relocating parent is permitted to move, then it will be harder and more expensive for the remaining parent to spend time with their child. If, on the other hand, a parent is not given permission to move with the child, it could prevent that parent from improving their and their child’s circumstances through job advancement or other opportunities. The contentious nature of such matters makes it imperative that you retain an attorney to assist you. Our Olympia lawyers handle cases which involve the relocation of children away from Washington as well as between school districts. We pride ourselves on providing quality service and we are ready to assist you. Contact us today. We also serve Tacoma and other areas in the state.

Child custody attorneys handling cases where Olympia or Tacoma parents wish to move a child outside of Washington

In Washington it is presumed that a parent who has been awarded the majority of the residential time under a parenting plan will be able to move out of state or to a new school district with the child. The non-relocating parent may object to the move and will be given the opportunity to show the court why the move’s negative effect on the child outweighs the benefits of the move to the child and the relocating parent. If the parties cannot reach a resolution on the matter, then the Court will issue a decision. The Court’s decision granting a move-away will also include a new Parenting Plan as well as an Order permitting the move.

A parent who wishes to relocate a child must provide their counterpart with notice of the move at least sixty days prior to the moving date. Within thirty days of receiving the notice, the responding parent may file an objection to the relocation. Generally, third parties, such as grandparents, do not have the right to object. If the move is an emergency, it is best to consult an attorney regarding notice and other requirements for those types of situations.

When deciding whether a parent should be permitted to move away with the child, the Court will consider a totality of the circumstances and the best interest of the child. Lawyers are critical in presenting the evidence in the most effective way to justify or oppose a move-away request. The requirements are technical and specific and require a prepared factual case to be made and presented to the Court.

The Court, however, is prohibited from considering whether the parent, who is planning to move, will put off their plans if they are prohibited from relocating with the child.

Our Olympia child relocation lawyers handle cases in which a parent wishes to move away from Washington. We will use your initial consultation to gain an understanding of your situation, and to give you an honest assessment of your case. We will quickly draft any necessary Notices or Objections. If an agreement cannot be reached, then we will guide you through the legal process. This will include obtaining information relevant to the move. Such information can include financial records, comparisons of school districts, comparisons of crime rates, etc. Our firm will represent you through trial and will protect your rights from beginning to end. We understand that this is a serious time in your life. We will give your case the attention it deserves. Contact us today.

Our firm also serves the Thurston County cities of Lacey, Tumwater, and Yelm, the Pierce County cities of Tacoma, Puyallup, and Lakewood, the Lewis County cities of Centralia, Chehalis, the King County cities of Seattle, Auburn, Bellevue, Burien, and Federal Way, as well as other areas in Washington, including Grays Harbor, Mason, Cowlitz, and Pacific Counties.

Lawyers assisting Olympia, Washington parents who wish to move their child to a new school district

While Washington’s child relocation laws are highly permissive for parents who wish to move a child out of state, they can also be considered restrictive for those who wish to move their son or daughter to a new school district in our state. Many states only require parents to go through a formal process if they are moving the child across state lines. As stated above, however, Washington’s process also applies to cases where the parent is simply moving from one school district to another. Our attorneys understand the importance of a child’s education and we are able to assist with disputes which arise from in-state moves. If you find yourself in need of representation, then contact our Olympia office today to speak with a lawyer.